Saturday, May 5, 2012

Biking the District


Are you afraid of biking in the city? I was.

With all of the cars zooming by, I figured that I surely would get hit. Ouchie! Or maybe someone would open a car door just in time for me to slam into it, summersault over the it, and land on my back. Seriously, I've imagined and assumed all of these worst case scenarios and more. But my friend convinced me that riding in the city is not scary and is really fun.

Enjoying the full moon this past weekend, my friend and I rode our bikes through the city. Where we began our bike ride is enough to make most people slap their forehead with their palm.

After the sun set, we decided riding along the Rock Creek Parkway was the best route. Did I mention that it was already after dark?

"Rock Creek Parkway?" I asked.


"Yeah. What's wrong with that?"


"Well, I grew up around here. That's where girls go to get raped. I didn't think women ever jogged in the Rock Creek Park anymore," I explained.


"Well, you'll be riding a bike. Secondly, you won't be where any women get raped."


So, against my better judgement, I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

We biked from Columbia Heights, through the Rock Creek Parkway, cut over in front of the Kennedy Center beside the Potomac, then I gave my friend a short history lesson and guided tour of the monuments. Lit up at night, they are so beautiful!

After attempting a few pictures on my phone, we were off to dinner. We rode down Constitution and then shot up 13th Street to U St. There we devoured some delicious soul food.

If you are afraid of biking the city, don't be. Trust me! It's even faster than a car in some cases! It's a fun date idea too!

1 comment:

  1. And it's a good idea to bring a screwdriver or to stay within running range of a K-Mart in case of a bike breakdown. You're an excellent writer and I hope to read about more of your adventures. I'm glad you survived this one without injury. Now let's see some more blog entries!

    ReplyDelete