Sunday, May 6, 2012

Everybody Say, "Oohh's and Aahh's"

It's more crowded after the Food Network feature.


Last Friday, my friend and I biked for several hours through the city. It was a blast, but it left us hungry. By the time we arrived at our destination, it was well after 10pm and we hadn't eaten dinner yet.

Starving, we walked into the soul food restaurant Oohh's and Aahh's located near the corner of U St. and 10th. I had learned about this place a few weeks before when I was waiting on the corner for my friend. On that Sunday morning, a guy sweeping the sidewalk started talking to me and invited me to eat at the restaurant where he worked.

My friend and I tried to eat there that morning, but our timing was off. We were ready for brunch at 10:30 am and the joint didn't open until noon. So we returned after our brunch to say hi to the sidewalk sweeper. While saying hi, we met the chef's mother who gave us samples of the most delicious food with a heaping side of entertaining stories.

She told us that her uncle modeled in Milan, Italy. There he learned that Italian men love black women, therefore she wants to go there before she dies.  The other place to see before she dies? Rio de Janeiro. She'd like to enjoy the nude beaches there before "gravity sets in." This woman had us captivated with her charm. We couldn't decide which was better: the food or the chef's mom? We vowed to return.

This dive is easy to miss.
Finally, we did return. At a quarter to 11 pm on a Friday night, the place was crowded. The restaurant serves food until 4am on Friday and Saturday nights.  So I'd recommend this as an alternative to a jumbo slice after a night of dancing. Try another DC experience. Eat soul food at the counter and talk to the staff! They are so friendly!

We ordered our food, sat at the bar by the stove, and talked to everyone working in the kitchen. They laughed at my method for attacking my beef ribs, yet they also assured me that my fingers were the only appropriate utensils. But did everyone wear their BBQ sauce on their face like I did?

I ate and ate and ate. My stomach never told me, "I'm full." So I ate my whole plate of beef ribs, yams, and collard greens. I ate everything. BBQ sauce threatened to encroach my hairline and covered my hands, so I was a mess. And I was in pain! I was so full because I also drank my industrial sized ice tea. Don't order the large drink. It's too big.

It's a steep price they charge for the plate of food ($20), but you receive a lot of food. Ladies, plan on splitting your meal with someone. Also, be prepared because they only accept cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment